Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Simple Truth

 I recently was given the opportunity to return to my home town and have a month long visit. One of the things I did was hang out with my daughter who is now 20 and her fiance. I noticed that the young folks don't use belts anymore. They use shoe strings. It looked so odd to me. A shoe string tied around a young person's waist to hold up their pants . With some effort on my part I became used to seeing my future son n law with a shoe string instead of belt. To my surprise when we visited the mall prior to school starting, I noticed all the kids do this shoe string thing. They even sell the pants with the shoe strings on them. So different than when I was young. When I lived in my late teens , early twenties it was all about big chunky fashion belts. The bigger and chunkier the better. They were heavy and would bust up and poke you.
  I began to think how ironic this simple truth is compared to religion and grace. When I was young trying to find myself and find my faith I was introduced to some religion. Boy did the practice of trying to be perfect and lawful alot like wearing that big chunky belt. It was way to heavy and when I would mess up and fall short the pretty decorations of religion would begin to poke and prod me. It wasn't until now my early forties that I have been relieved of that heaviness. I am now living the simple truth of grace and just like that shoe string it does it's purpose of keeping me up. Simple Truths are just like simple belts. I praise God that the kids now a days look to using a shoe string to hold up their pants. Maybe this practice of simplicity in their lives will help prepare them for the simple act of faith in Jesus. As I pondered this thought I could feel the spirit encouraging me telling me " your revelations will help awaken a new generation from religion to relationship". What a powerful lesson a shoe string has taught me. When sharing faith keep it simple. Keep it Jesus. 

2 comments: